6.18.2010


My daughters have affectionately named me the Bird Lady (I sincerely hope there is a little love behind this nickname) and I smile with them and really don't mind since I have always been quite fascinated by these magnificent creatures. It
is much to the girls' dismay that we can be traveling down the Island Highway, 90-100 km/hr, and I will call out, " Check out the Kingfisher on the hydro line! Or, oh look, Bald Eagle! Or, Trumpeter Swan! Hawk!", as I hold on to the steering wheel whilst craning my neck to watch one fly over head. They in turn shake their head, mumble something under their breath, and keep their eyes peeled for stray Mule Deer that enjoy playing Chicken with the highway traffic.

I am especially in awe of the American Bald Eagle. To catch a glimpse of one makes my day. Usually I do. There is a mating pair that have a perch on a Douglas Fir close to the highway that I am guaranteed to see on those days that I drive one of my daughters to dance classes. We, the eagles and I, are going on our eighth year of highway watching!

So it was quite obvious that when a "flock" swoops, dives and soars over the field at my home when hay is being baled I abandon all cares, worries and tasks.


It figures that I would take a seat on a bale of hay, endure a runny nose and itchy skin due to grass allergies, and "wait" for that picture perfect moment - which never really happened. Maybe eagles are camera shy? The wild ones that is. Or maybe just the ones that decided to make the field their gathering place.

Eventually I did get some shots of one flying overhead, and believe me, I felt those eyes looking down at me. It came in low from behind before circling in front. My early-warning detector to get the camera ready was a very funny looking black cat (Comet) who suddenly went Halloween on me and began growling like a dog!


Today I counted at one given time 4 Adult Bald Eagles, 3 Juvenile Bald Eagles and a handful of Turkey Vultures for good measure, either flying overhead, catching a snack in the field or keeping things in check from a high vantage point in the Douglas Firs. I would guess that there were yummy morsels of field mice, snakes and, sad to say, rabbits to satisfy their appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment